Friday, March 16, 2007

These are the best days of your life

I thought I was going to be one of those once a month bloggers. (The ones you check and wish they would write more often :-) But looks like I might possibly be able to keep up with once a week. We'll see how it goes! I am often thinking of something I want to share. It doesn't always make it to the blog, but this experience yesterday was too tender to not write about.

We went to the library and we got a library card for Elizabeth. She was so excited and as we were walking out the door she wanted to put it in her coat pocket. She stopped and was in a lady's way, so I apologized briefly that we were blocking the door. The lady was just smiling as she watched Elizabeth having trouble getting that card into her pocket, and she said, "That's perfectly fine. These are the best years of your life." I said 'thank you' to her and as she walked away I got tears in my eyes thinking about what she said. Sometimes it takes an experience like that for me to really feel and remember how amazing this time is for us. When one child is not listening and the other is grumpy and clingy, it is so hard to feel that. It is so easy to have tunnel vision and forget, as we go day to day, that this time with little children is so special. And sometimes, unfortunately, I even find myself looking forward to when I don't have babies anymore so things aren't so physically demanding and so that I'm not limited to when I can go and do things. But that shouldn't be. So, anyways, thank you lady for such an inspired comment! I am more grateful for this precious time with my little ones as a result.

No comments: