Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My couponing escapades

To change the subject for a moment...I have mentioned that I have been working on reducing our household expenses. Well, after Christmas I found a friend's blog that was talking about these ridiculously low prices she was paying for groceries and household/personal items. Through her blog I located others and was intrigued how these people had cut their monthly grocery/household budget almost in half by doing a few simple things. I was willing to try. So I read and read and absorbed all the material I could on how to accomplish this. I started cutting out coupons - unfortunately something that I had not done much before. I started reading blogs to get the latest deals and info on what sales matched what coupons at particular stores. And I am here to tell you the amazing dividends and benefits this has brought to us in just a few short weeks. It is still a work in progress, but here is a picture of what I bought yesterday at CVS and a description of how much I paid for it. (Yes, this is what the major coupon ladies do and I am following in their footsteps by posting the cheesy picture and making you salivate over how you can be such a bargain shopper too :-)



Total cost - $8.30 (I bought things only on sale, with a coupon, and had a $12 off my shopping order coupon as well.)
Total rebates coming - $4.00
Total $'s off my next shopping order by buying particular items - $4.99

So that amounts to earning 69 cents! OR a total of $4.30 if I don't include the $4.99 that I qualified for to be taken off my next purchase. But doesn't earning 69 cents on the purchase sound better?

Besides the awesome deals I am finding at the drugstores, our Giant Eagle bill is starting to decrease dramatically. And the best thing about all of this is...my food pantry and bathroom linen closet are overflowing! We had been working on food storage for quite some time, but nothing has stocked my shelves like this practice has. I keep feeling like I need to share this, as it has helped us so much. And for those of you with all the time in the world on your hands, you might want to do this too! (J/K...it takes a while at the beginning, but the amount of time required does slow down somewhat after getting down the whole system.)

No comments: